Husky advance information
During this safari you will follow the guide into arctic forests, through swamps, over fells and frozen lakes driving your own husky team. The small groups have 4–7 persons – perfect to get to know new people. In the afternoon you arrive at the wilderness cabins in the forest where you spend the night.
These cabins have a sleeping area for the whole group, sauna and wilderness toilet. They may not have running water or electricity. The average day will start around 7:00 and will continue until the daily teamwork is done. During this time you will be outdoor doing physical work such as carrying water, preparing dog food, cleaning the dogs’ resting area, chopping wood and of course mushing your very own husky team. After a long day outside, you can relax and give your muscles a rest in a traditional Finnish sauna.
As the weather conditions can vary from -5ºC to even -45ºC you need to be in a good physical condition / health. Meaning that you are able to stand on the runners for few hours and help the dogs by kicking your sledge in the uphill. You haven’t had any recent injuries. Everybody drives their own sled, no shared driving possibilities for this tour. Should you wish to discontinue the safari for any other reason than emergency evacuation, you will be charged an evacuation fee of 300€ per person.
Packing for the tour
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- Warm winter overall
- Snow boots and a pair of woollen socks
- Balaclava and warm gloves
- A sleeping bag with linen
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU
- In springtime good sunglasses and sun lotion
- Head light and spare batteries
- Neck pouch for phone and camera
- Heat packs
- Working gloves for after safari routines
(Feeding the dogs carrying firewood)
- Thermos bottle approx. 1 liter
FOR WILDERNESS CABIN OVERNIGHT
- Sweat suit or similar to wear at the cabin
- Jogging shoes, crocs, etc. indoor shoes
- Personal toiletries
(Medicine, soap, shampoo etc.)
- Quick dry towel
- Small backpackfor things that are needed during the tour
Please note that the maximum luggage weight to take with you on a husky tour is 12kg / person.
Useful tips for clothing
- We recommend following materials:
wool, merino, synthetic fibre or fleece
- Please avoid cotton clothes and jeans
- Layered clothing. Colder weather = More layers
- Use comfortable layers that are not too tight under overall
- Instead of glasses we advice to wear contact lenses
- Choose boots that are a little too big – extra air in the boots acts as an insulator keeping the feet warm
Overnight at wilderness cabin
- Please pack your things in a soft backpack for the overnight safaris. Try not to bring too many things, as it can easily get crowded in the cabins, limit is 12 kg / person
- Usually there is no electricity or running water at the cabins
- Things that you don’t take on a husky tour, you can leave behind in Harriniva in a locked storage room
- You can leave all valuables in our safe
(tickets, money, passport, etc)
- If you are a vegetarian, have a special diet or a serious illness; please inform us well in advance, preferably when you reserve the tour!
- Mobile phone coverage may not be available everywhere
Depending on weather and snow conditions and for the safety and comfort matter of the others we reserve the right to change the routes and the duration of the activities and tour if necessary.
If our guest is noticed to be a potential harm or even danger to him/herself, animals or to others, or is in poor health we also reserve the right to discontinue the tour.